Followers

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sin City Stamps - Faux Patina Step Card


For The Pinque Peacock Stars and Stripes Blog Hop scroll down one post....




I am making a card today for Sin City Stamps DT. 
This is my application for the team.
Today I am making a Side Step card and using a stamping technique called Faux Patina.
Patina is basically tarnish produced by oxidation or other chemical processes.
I have never tried this before but when I saw it on You Tube (TooCoolStamping1)
I knew I had to make a card with this stamping technique.
Here is a picture with my supplies.


An embossing folder.
I chose to go with the traditional Patina look.. which I hear is aqua.
I used Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Vintage Photo for my dark ink
Pine Needles for my medium ink.
Broken China for my lightest ink.
In the video I watched Angie used four colours.
 a light brown, blue, green and a dark brown.
(I didn't have a light enough colour but I think the one I used worked.)
I also have sponges to sponge the ink on... (well one distress tool and two finger daubers!)
Gold Embossing Powder... and Versamark Ink
Heat Tool
(I did use my big shot also but not in pic)

Faux Patina is so pretty but also fairly easy....

My first step is to ink the front of the embossing folder.
(the non raised side)


Add paper to it ... good side down (if you have a certain side you want
to be the front)


This is how the paper looks when you take it out of the embossing folder.
This already has a very cool look to it... 


 The next step is to start adding colour...
We are going to add the lightest colour which is the Broken China (blue)
I sponged on .. randomly...



As you can see you can still see the brown as you are mostly 
sponging the blue on the raised areas.

Then I added the next colour which is the Pine Needles (green)
This colour is a little darker than the blue.


As you can see you can still see the brown (Vintage Photo) on the
non raised layer.

I then added Vintage Photo (brown)  to the whole piece making sure
I added extra to the raised areas.


You will want to let this dry a little.. 
I actually used my heat gun.

I just love this look without even adding the gold embossing powder.
I am sure I will be making some cards doing this.

The next step is to add the gold embossing powder.
I added versamark ink randomly over the image.
I mostly tried to hit the raised areas.
I then added gold embossing powder to the image.


As you can see I hit more than the raised areas
so I brushed off some of the embossing powder.



I then heated the image with my heat gun..


You can see in the picture some of the areas already turning...

The next image is the finish image .... faux patina.....


I absolutely love this technique!

I decide to make a side step card.


This card is so easy to make...5 1/2 by 11 paper
Cut at 2 3/4 from the 1inch mark to the 5 1/4 inch mark...
On one side score at 1inch, 2 inches ...
then fold the card in half... saves more scoring and your
card is folded in half perfectly...

Here is my finished card.
I made a wedding card.




upclose



Inside


Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and make a faux patina card.
It was so much fun.
Have a great weekend.
Laura 













5 comments:

  1. fun post, thanks for your interest in be apart of the Sincity Stamps DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial absolutely love this card

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial…I loved all the step by steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a stunning technique, laura! the sentiment is so precious. this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous card! I love the process! So cool

    ReplyDelete